Wednesday, February 17, 2010

So I've met up with my friend Tara, we're in Bangkok and in a few hours we'll be taking an overnight bus followed by a 2 hour speedboat ride to the island of Ko Tao where we'll indulge in beach time and scuba certification classes. I wasn't going to post this next little story, but Tara is forcing me to do so...

This happened about a week ago.

I was sitting at an outdoor bar with some friends in Chang Rai. To our backs was the street. Two of the girls that worked at the bar had gone out to get some food on their scooter. After 20 or so minutes they pulled up behind us and promptly fell over with the scooter practically on top of them. Being the man of action that I am, I jump off of my stool, stand in front of the scooter (so it is facing me head on), with the intention of grabbing the handlebars and pulling the bike to an upright position. While I begin this action, I'm lifting the bike upright, but unknowingly when i grab the handlebars i also inadvertantly twist the throttle. As the bike is almost upright, it is also starting to come straight at me. At this point I understand what is happening, but my mind cannot react quickly enough to let go of the throttle. So yes, I run over myself with the scooter. The bike bashes me out of the way and I go a tumbling down the street and the scooter again falls over about 5 ft down the alley. Luckily the bike is unscathed, and Derek ends up with a few cuts and bruises on his left leg, and a giant bruise on his ego. Not sure if anyone here is familiar with monty python, but i definitely could have won the "twit race."

5 comments:

  1. The first rule in first aid in a situation like this is to look around to determine if anyone saw you. If not, you get up and go on your way. If they did, you stay down and fake a more serious injury. Ask me how I know this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and those damn two wheel vehicles. I'm glad you're ok, your ego never has to be hospitalized. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who's nickname is Scooter now?
    Watch your glas jaw slick.
    p'wesome

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehe. fucking awesome. wish you got that on film.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scooter, hope you didn't jack your Pickles.

    ReplyDelete