Friday, March 12, 2010

Outside of the major temples are tons of food stalls and souveneir (sp?) stands. Manning all of these are tons and tons of children. And they are renlentless in their sales tactics. First they ask you if you want to buy "cold drink." From there it quickly progresses to bracelets, 10 postcards for $2-which quickly drops to$1, scarves, books, flutes, mouth harps, etc. After many no's from me, they ask where you are from. Giving the answer, they proceed to tell you your state's capital city, population, name of the president, ending with "now you buy!" After a "no," they'll ask you the captial of Madagascar. I told them I didn't know, and they told me "Because you not know, you buy!" I eventually caved and bought some bracelets from one of the little girls. Within 5 seconds of the money exchange, a different little girl who was trying to sell me things earlier came running over saying, ÿou told me no, and now you buy from her!" all the while i'm sitting there eating my fried noodles. after a while, i got them talking about school and their families and they chilled out on the sales pitches. the little boy on the left gave his farewell to me like this. "Bye bye, nice to meet you. I go home now and my mom kill me cause you no buy." They even wanted to charge me for taking their photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment